Quick Trivia Question…
Quick trivia question. Can you name the US non-profit that gives the greatest scholarship assistance to young women every year?
Stumped? So was I until 2001, when I learned that the answer is actually the Miss America Organization. I was incredibly fortunate to learn that from the 1996 Miss Oklahoma & Miss America who also happens to be my wife Shawntel.
Yes, I’m very blessed!
I bring up Miss America today because I actually traveled to Tulsa, OK two weekends ago to enjoy all the pageantry, fun and excitement around the Miss Oklahoma competition where Alicia Clifton was crowned along with winning thousands of dollars in college scholarship. But it wasn’t just her, as many of the contestants were also presented with thousands of dollars in college scholarships! Ever since I first met Shawntel I’ve become more involved in the Miss America organization and have sat on the Board of Directors for the past 7 years.
I recently mentioned the Miss America organization to someone who was less than familiar and they were amazed when I pointed out that the organization is actually a non-profit dedicated to delivering scholarships. This common misnomer is one that always amazes people when I share it with them. A few key points that always underpin my conversations related to the Miss America Organization.
- 45 million dollars in college scholarships is made available each year to bright young women
- 12,000 young women receive scholarship assistance from local, state and national Miss America organizations every year
- 12,000 community service projects participated in every year by Miss America volunteers as well as state & local titleholders
- 20,000 miles per month traveled by Miss America as she helps to promote her chosen platform and support the Children’s Miracle Network
- 500,000 volunteer service hours as an organization every year… approximately 57 years worth of work!
Thanks for following me as I continue my new blogging adventure! If you have any questions, comments or suggestions for my next blog topic let me know below or over twitter @rwuerch